Waco Businesswoman Opens Fat Ho Burgers

Photo credit: Waco Trib

Update: Here’s a copy of the menu which includes items such as Supa Fly Ho W/Chz, Sloppy Ho Brisket and tiny ho meals. You know… for the kids.
I know we should do our part to support female entrepreneurs, but what Waco businesswoman Lakita Evans considers a gimmick to get people into the doors of her new restaurant, Fat Ho Burgers, just doesn’t sit well with many Wacoans and ex Wacoans. “Oh, jeez,”  Waco city manager Larry Groth told the Waco Tribune Herald. “I guess they’ll find out whether the community supports them soon.”  The restaurant sits at the corner of South 11th Street and Ross and is expected to open this week. Evans says Waco is home to the restaurant chain Hooters so what’s wrong with a Fat Ho?  I see her point, but I don’t patron Hooters, Twin Peaks, or any other female body part restaurant either, and I don’t get why other women do. Are the chicken wings worth being the subject of male food fantasies? Really? But Hooters is named for body parts, not the derogatory phrase used to describe a certain type of woman, her character even. Though one might argue that there are many hoes at Hooters, too. But should we support a woman who tries to make money off  misogyny? ”I chose it because the economy is down, and what makes me smile is when it puts a smile on their face. They can come here have fun, eat, laugh at the menu and try to take their mind off of stuff,”  Evans told a Waco TV station. “Sometimes black people, when they see something they’ll say woo that is a big ho, that ho right there is tight,” she told another station. ”So it’s catchy, like that.” Maybe they can take their mind off stuff, but who wants to work at a restaurant where Evans and employees might answer to “Hey, Fat Ho!” If she can dish it, she should be able to take it.  And it does a disservice to her community at large. What are people thinking when they see other young, African American girls in the neighborhood?

Let’s be honest, there would be an outcry in Waco if this restaurant was called My Niggaz Noodles (and if it were in a predominantly white neighborhood). Why? Because THAT term is offensive. So is being called a ho, b*itch, slut or any other derogatory derivative in my mind, and just because a woman says it and laughs (like Hip Hop artist use the ‘n’ word in lyrics) doesn’t make it right. Wasn’t Don Imus fired for calling female basketball players “Nappy Headed Hoes”? Would the patrons laugh if a white guy from nearby Robinson pulled up in an a pickup with a rebel flag on the back and started ordering ho burgers from the hoes? Honestly, I’d rather eat at another cheap burger joint in Waco (and there are plenty), laugh, and not feel insulted when men walk in and see a group of women, or should we just accept being called hoes now.

But not everyone is as supportive of the burger banter. One person is offering free marketing and promotions help to Evans if she changes the name of the restaurant, and the same person started a Facebook group called Keep Waco Texas Positive. But some people aren’t as discriminatory and want to see a ‘ho’-in-the wall burger joint make it. “Fat. Ho. Burger. Cause, Ho’s got to eat too!” wrote one commenter on a message board. Still others see the humor, “If anything, the name of the restaurant almost makes eating there a novelty, and I think that this is the effect that Ms. Evans wished to achieve when she gave the restaurant this name.” But how long will the gimmick work? Isn’t it sad that a 23-year-old woman who put herself through college, who saved her own money for her own business, would be OK with being called a ho? Stay wacky Waco!

Share and Enjoy:
  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Reddit
  • del.icio.us
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Blogplay
  • Add to favorites

About admin

Chick Talk Dallas is the hatchling of Joanna Cattanach, a former Dallas Morning News staff writer/news assistant. A graduate of Baylor University, she currently works as a freelance writer and writing instructor in the Dallas area where she, her husband and baby son call home. Follow her on twitter.com/ChickTalkDallas.
This entry was posted in Dallas Food and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Waco Businesswoman Opens Fat Ho Burgers

1. Shelley says:

Thank you for your comments! Our Facebook group is now Keep Waco Texas Positive http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_179819472064438&ap=1

I believe that misogyny is not funny, but I am also backing my words with support. I want Ms. Evans to succeed and I am willing to help and challenge others in the community to do the same! Lets help her reprint her menus, change her signage, build a website, design a logo, paint the building – whatever we can do to help. Please contact me on the Facebook group!

I am proud to call Waco my hometown!

2. alexander says:

i think it funny cause it tracks people eyes in ant nathing wrong with look at hooters nobody ant complaning about that right so just liv it alone cause we all now that fat ho burgers is going to win n thay should not chang the name. i like i will eat there

3. Coco says:

Oh pffffttttt !!!! This is funny! Just let the anger go…this wouldn’t offend you, unless it specifically pertains to you! There are much bigger things to whine about in the world then a cute lil burger joint named Fat Ho’s! I hope they have t-shirts LOL!!!!!

Livin’ the dream in Waco LOL!

4. STBDWaco says:

I live in Waco, and will do anything and everything in my power to make sure that she succeeds! In these trying times we have so many MORE things to be concerned about…especially in a town where, let’s be honest, we’ve had our fair share of problems…from religious fanatics to an idiot of a president doing MORE than needed to bring down the name of this town. I agree with Coco…hope she has t-shirts, because ALL of my friends will be wearing one! Good luck, Ms. Evans!!

5. FatHo says:

Ok.I am from South Waco & still live here & I have found that nobody I know from Waco is offended by this place in anyway! All you people don’t even live here presently & just want something to complain about! Unless you are a Fat Ho yourself why would it be offensive! Go find something else to cry about because it seems Fat Ho is here to stay & Miss Shelley isn’t doing anything but bringing in more business!!! So I’m sure Miss Evans greatly appreciates you!

6. B says:

This is hysterical . I had no idea about this burger joint until we discussed it in one of my classes at mclennan community college. & the only reason our teacher had heard about it was because so many people were complaining about the name. If you don’t like it, don’t go. But all your doing by trying to state your opinion is giving her more business and it’s pathetic. Get over it, it’s not directed towards anyone. I give all props to the girl and she will be getting my five bucks for a burger (:

7. Dawn says:

Good luck Ms Evans, I hope you make millions. I don’t really care for the name myself, but it still won’t keep me from getting a great chicken burger. For myself I feel that you calling things (Food) ho’s is better than calling people ho’s. Hope you do make T-shirts, I know lots of people that would love to get one. God bless you in your endeavors.

8. JW says:

This woman is a marketing GENUIS. Whether or not her burger joint stands the test of time at this point is irrelevant, she has gotten more FREE publicity in the past 24 hours than any chain could buy in a year! Half of where I work want to go there right now, simply put, to say we ate at “Fat Ho Burgers”! If she cooks a good burger, treats customers right and with a smile, there should be no reason why this young woman shouldn’t prosper. In a time when people are losing jobs and the economy is upside down, why shouldn’t we be on the side of someone going into a LEGITIMATE business and wishing them the best of luck??? Good luck, Miss Evans!

9. CH says:

I understand that some people think this is completely offensive, but Evans is not using the word “ho” in a demeaning fashion. Context is EVERYTHING.

You might think that context doesn’t matter and certain words always have certain meanings, but I say that you are wrong. Culture is key – and every person in America does not live in the same culture. I teach in a local high school and I guarantee that there are words spoken there every day that are not meant offensively, but can be taken offensively by another person.

I am not sure if I am going to go there, but it makes me laugh when I hear it which is exactly what Evans wanted – to put a smile on people’s faces. This new restaurant is all my students can talk about and I wish her the best of luck.

10. imil101 says:

I look at it like this- Most caucasion wont patron her business no how- So it makes me wonder what they have, to be offended about. And beside this-most of those same people already use derogatory statements refering to african americans- behind closed doors.

11. KR says:

Leave that ho alone!!!!

12. love it says:

get over it! Merriam-webster.com has the definition as:

1ho interj \ˈhō\
    Definition of HO
    —used especially to attract attention to something specified

I’d say she is using it correctly!-
    I am a female and can’t wait to take my family and show my support!

13. GPE says:

I agree that she is just trying to be successful in her own way and why should anyone be granted the right to change her dream. This is America after all. If you want to make a difference in the world then volunteer in poor neighborhoods, become a mentor to abused children, donate your time to the elderly. This woman isn’t doing anything wrong. If she were asian and had the name on her restaurant would you feel the same way. I also agree that most folks that are offended are not part of the actual community she is serving anyway so what does it matter to them. The world is full of real offenses instead of the name of a restaurant. Hooters, Twin Peak, JackAsters, etc…..come on people if you can tolerate no one stepping in control the Charlie Sheen’s and Lindsay Lohan’s of the world then what gives you the right to step in here. Do what you do lady and God Bless your continued success!!!

14. Mary says:

I think it is hilarious!! I wish her much success and I will be sure to try this out next time I am in town!!

15. JD says:

I’m a white guy & I don’t live in Waco & I think the name is catchy & I hope she is successful. Everyone deserves an opportunity regardless of a name,color,race, religion…etc. If it offends you…don’t eat there. Life is too short to complain about a burger joint.
    Much success to you Ms Evans from a caucaision male!

16. Shawn says:

I am cracking up. I went to school at Baylor. If anyone knows the owner please wish her great success. I have a great idea for her. Tell her to sell Ho Hos, Ding Dongs, and Ho Cakes. She could even fry the Ho Hos like they do the twinkies at the State Fair. Call them Fried Hos! I will take my 10% now. lol

17. SLW says:

Can’t wait 2 patronize the business! And DOnT change the name for anyone, Do You& mk MUch Money!-

18. lauren says:

why are they saying the people that work there are allowing themselves to be called ho’s?
    the burger is the ho not the workers?
    and as far as i know when you are meaning it negitively you spell it

19. Shawn says:

Someone in Waco ask the owner to create a facebook page so we can see how many LIKES she gets. The others need to spend more time on the community of Waco than to worry about one business owner. I wonder if they had a clergy meeting about Hooters and the strip joints in town.

20. Donaven from Dallas says:

When I saw the name of the restaurant I fell out laughing. One of my co-workers decided to drive down there this weekend, so we are taking a road trip to Waco to support the Fat Ho entrepreneur. I think this is marketing at its best. The very first thing Ms Evans did (which I applauded her on) is follow her dream, which can never lead you wrong. The second thing that she succeeded at was coming up with something that catches the eye and gets people talking. Her marketing is done for her and she didn’t have to pay for it. I wish you the very best and can’t wait to taste one of your burgers. Driving down on 03-26-11.

21. The dagger says:

Why stop there, just call it Fat Black Ho! Burgers so get there like crack!

What are the burger names?

The Stink Ho